Saturday, December 26, 2009

Blues Picker & Singer Extraordinaire

Rory Block, a multiple W.C. Handy Blues Music award winner, came to play some blues at the Pour House a week and a half ago.

I support live music and want every act to receive a great Charleston Welcome. An early show on a Wednesday night at the PoHo is often a crowd challenge.

Rory - blues, roots singer and guitarist - acknowledged it was a last minute change in her schedule and she expected a less than normal size audience.

This pro had seats placed right down front and she conducted a terrific "guitar clinic." She switched back and forth among four guitars and featured the sounds - and her memories - of Son House and Mississippi John Hurt. Wow.

She played in the Netherlands and Belgium earlier this year and was on her way the next day to Charlotte and Atlanta, so Charleston was fortunate to receive an outstanding evening of Mississippi Delta blues.

A friend who knows how much I enjoy music and concerts touted an "app" he has on his iPhone.

Holding up a flickering lighter in tribute to the band has been updated.

I don't own an iPhone but I think Rory would have liked seeing it glowing in the dark as she played.

Hope she comes back again.

(Click on the music shot for more detail.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Sun Dec 27, 08:55:00 PM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

That is pretty nifty!

Hope you had a good Christmas, Chuck!

 
At Tue Dec 29, 07:43:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would have enjoyed her show. Love blues anyway.

I have some ideas for next month's photo theme. Do you want them left in a comment or should I e-mail them to you? If so, I need an e-mail address.

 
At Thu Dec 31, 10:35:00 AM , Blogger Paul said...

Sounds, cool. I'd like to know where to find some live blues in Charleston. I've looked, but haven't found much.

 
At Thu Dec 31, 11:21:00 AM , Blogger chucker said...

Paul, the "leader" of the Blues in Charleston is Gary Erwin, aka Shrimp City Slim. A good Blues place is A Do Re Mi pizza (really!)in Mt. Pleasant.
http://www.adoughremi.com/shows.aspx

 
At Thu Dec 31, 11:40:00 AM , Blogger Paul said...

Thanks, Chuck. I've seen that listed but it seems to be pretty sporadic. I guess that I'll just have to keep checking on it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home